Detention Monitoring Tool - Addressing risk factors to prevent torture and ill-treatment (2013)
This Detention Monitoring Tool has been developed jointly by Penal Reform International and the APT. It provides analysis and practical guidance to support monitoring bodies, including National Preventive Mechanisms (NPMs), to fulfil their preventive mandate as effectively as possible when visiting police facilities or prisons.
Monitoring teams may find the tools useful in a number of different ways, for example, in:
- developing their monitoring methodology;
- informing planning for their annual programme of work;
- helping to prepare for specific visits;
- informing their reports and recommendations.
Second edition (English): Incorporates the 2015 revised Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners, the Nelson Mandela Rules.
- Balancing security and dignity in prisons: a framework for preventive monitoring
- Institutional culture in detention: a framework for preventive monitoring
- LGBTI persons deprived of their liberty: a framework for preventive monitoring
- Women in detention: a guide to gender-sensitive monitoring
- Body searches
- Instruments of restraint
- Pre-trial detention
- Staff working conditions
- Video-recording in police custody