Women & Prison: Country Highlights
Take a closer look at some of the recent initiatives carried out by oversight bodies across the world to protect the rights of women in prison.
- PERU: The National Preventive Mechanism issued thematic report on the treatment and conditions of women in six prisons across the country, including COVID-19 specific considerations (April 2021)
- UK: HM Inspectorate of Prisons for England and Wales published new edition of its criteria for assessing the treatment of and conditions for women in prison (April 2021)
- SERBIA: the National Preventive Mechanism carried out a visit to the only women's correctional institution in the country to monitor compliance with the UN Bangkok Rules (April 2021)
- HONDURAS: The National Preventive Mechanism (CONAPREV) set up a local committee to work with authorities and civil society towards the implementation of the UN Bangkok Rules (March 2021)
- PARAGUAY:The National Preventive Mechanism organised a photo exhibition on women's daily life in the Buen Pastor Prison. The exhibition was displayed on the external walls of the prison (November 2020)
- UK: HM Inspectorate of Prisons for England and Wales issued thematic report documenting how COVID-19 restrictions affected women in prison (June 2020)