Many parliamentarians across Europe have a right to visit detention centres for migrants and asylum seekers, as part of their mandate. To encourage and support such visits, the APT and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe have published a practical guide for parliamentarians on visiting immigration detention centres. The Guide includes:
- Why should parliamentarians visit places of detention?
- What are the basic legal norms relating to the detention of irregular migrants and asylum seekers?
- How to carry out visits to places where asylum seekers and irregular migrants are held (preparation, conduct and follow up)?
- Checklists of issues that could be examined during the visit
- Do’s and Don’ts when working with an interpreter
- Tips for parliamentarians
Links to additional readings and resources
Visiting Immigration Detention Centres: a guide for parliamentarians