Proceedings of Central America OPCAT Seminar Available (in Spanish)
The 1st Regional Conference on OPCAT in Central America and Mexico took place in Tegucigalpa, Honduras from 15 – 16 October 2008 bringing together international and local authorities, experts and practitioners.
The Proceedings of the Conference – organized by the CPTRT (Honduras), ODHAG (Guatemala) and RCT (Denmark) and sponsored by the IIDH (Costa Rica) and the APT – highlight some of the issues discussed, including:
- the concept of torture prevention;
- the designation processes of National Preventive Mechanisms (NPM);
- the notion of confidentiality under the OPCAT;
- the need for indicators to evaluate impact;
- the role of the UN Subcommittee on Prevention (SPT) with regards to NPMs;
- and National Human Rights Institutions as NPMs.
The Declaration of Tegucigalpa on the OPCAT was adopted at the end of the Seminar.