Tortura y malos tratos
Questions for monitors
When monitoring bodies are faced with an allegation of torture or ill-treatment, has the following information been collected?
- full identity of the person making the allegation and the identity of the victim (if they are different)?
- details of the detaining authority?
- date, time and location of the ill-treatment?
- details about authorities involved in the ill-treatment?
- circumstances of the ill-treatment?
- details of any possible witnesses?
- detailed description of the ill-treatment and the physical and/or mental effects (what, how, how long, how often and by whom)?
- medical certificate and other evidence (such as photographs)?
If the monitoring teams include medical personnel, has the following been documented:
- physical evidence?
- psychological evidence?
- Need for medical treatment?
Have the monitoring teams collected information on follow-up actions?
- Who has already been informed of the allegation and what were the results?
- Is there a possibility for detainees to make administrative, disciplinary and /or criminal complaints?
- Has the person making the complaint authorised transmission of his/her allegation?
- If a complaint was made, what has happened? What were the consequences for the perpetrator(s) and the victim(s)?
- Any official response to the incident?
- Is the allegation an isolated case or is there a pattern of ill-treatment?